Accelerating Industry 4.0 with Private Networks & 5G
Industry 4.0 has brought in an exponential advancement of IT which has transformed IT to a prominent pillar of strategic importance for any organization. The way IT has helped organizations weather the COVID-19 mayhem aptly testifies its strategic importance. We also with the help of IT and collaboration-enabled technologies could help the organization manage its routine operational and office activities at the peak of COVID-19 lockdown period, thereby leveraging world class communication and collaboration technologies when it mattered the most!
Leaving behind the COVID spell, we are currently excited to herald in a new digital journey presented by the digital initiatives of our organization under the umbrella of Project “DRIVE” (Digital Readiness for Innovation & Value in E&P). Successful completion of these projects would propel our company to the elite group of organizations who would have significantly leveraged pathbreaking Industry 4.0 technologies like Industrial Automation, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Drone Surveillance, Robotic Process Automation, Sensor Networks, etc.
Some of the “DRIVE” initiatives that OIL has initiated its journey are:
- CxO Dashboard: A visually intuitive, active insights dashboard that provides end-to-end visibility of Financial, Strategic & Operational performance metrics across major core & non-core functions for effective and timely decision-makings.
- Drone Surveillance: Collect aerial videos & photographs to analyse and detect leaks, illegal tapping, sabotage, excavations, construction work for faster corrective actions and prevent production loss.
- AI Based Reservoir Modelling: Implement AI-ML based reservoir and use the "Big Data" solution in order to develop full field reservoir models based on measurements.
- Depth Data Drilling Policy (DDDP): Single platform for geology, geophysics, chemical, drilling, cementing, etc. to provide approvals & inputs for creating DDDP.
- Real Time Production Monitoring & Analytics: Reduce production losses, time to detect surface flowing issues & improve hydrocarbon allocation.
- Enhanced Real Time Monitoring & Analytics Centre for Drilling: Real-time command centre for drilling operations to reduce non-productive time (NPT), enhance drilling performance, decrease decision-making time and improve safety.
- Bowser Logistic Digitalization: Automate Bowser Loading/Unloading & Tracking of Bowsers along with Planning, Monitoring & Coordination to enhance the process control & monitoring system.
- Connected Worker: Improved veracity & velocity of field recorded data, optimized digital business workflow, access to work procedures for enhanced work productivity & higher safety.
- Condition Based Maintenance: Improve machinery availability and reliability in order to ensure higher uptime, enhance production, product quality, safe working environment, optimize spare inventory.
- HSSE Incident Reporting & Tracking: Operational risk reduction and improvement in process control through hazard/incident reporting and tracking app. Increase proactive capture of lead HSE indicators resulting in safer operations.
- Invoice-To-Pay Automation: Standardize invoice management process and digitalize the process workflow to leverage process automation across the invoice management lifecycle and provide a self-service portal envisaged to drive convenience and satisfaction across the supplier base of OIL.
Apart from the above, we are also developing a roadmap for upgrading our existing ERP Solution from SAP ECC 6.0 to SAP S/4 HANA.
For ensuring high-availability of our on-premise infrastructure and its solutions, we have added a Near-DR Centre to the existing Primary Data Centre and Disaster Recovery
However, some of the challenges faced specifically in the network or connectivity domain are:
- As most of our sites are small in size (wells and installations) and scattered in very remote and logistically challenged regions, there is a challenge in network availability to implement state-of-art solutions, which demands high-availability of secured, continuous, high-bandwidth network with both data & voice connectivity.
- Availability of seamless & consistent network coverage as mobile devices and humans change their locations.
- During drone surveillance in remote areas having connectivity challenges, requirement of instant transmission of video-captured data from these remote locations to data centre for video monitoring, analytics and responsive-actions to any detected threats.
- Adding intelligent devices to legacy equipment to leverage real-time data being generated from such equipment to facilitate analytics for an enhanced decision-making system. Replacement of legacy equipment with state-of-art equipment becomes a cost-intensive solution.
- Equipment & networks (voice & video) conducive for highly hostile environments, especially during fire-fighting operations.
Some other generic challenges faced are:
- Revamping of an existing common IT-OT network infrastructure to a state-of-art network architecture deployment for IT-OT solutions.
- Availability of state-of-art solutions but at a very high cost due to the nascent stage of these solutions.
- Consulting for mapping Industry 4.0 solutions to the use-cases specific to organizations.